Terms & Conditions for Entrants
By choosing to register for the Pioneer Prize, you agree to the following conditions.
- You are currently enrolled in high school or studying a high school curriculum and are aged 13-19 on Jan 1st, 2020.
- You are either attending high school in or are a resident of one of the following towns: Blue Hill, Brooklin, Brooksville, Castine, Deer Isle, Orland, Penobscot, Sedgwick, Stonington, Surry.
- If you wish to form a team, it must be approved by us before you collaborate as a team.
- You certify that neither you nor your family are affiliated with Blue Hill Community Development or the Pioneer Prize Team.
- You understand the criteria (set forth in the online FAQ).
- You agree to submit your project for the judging process, complete with source code and in an executable manifestation (e.g., the app, website, etc).
- You acknowledge that the decisions on the judges are final.
- You understand that any winnings will be reported to the IRS and may be subject to taxation. You also understand that you will be required to complete an IRS Form W-9 before receiving any prize winnings.
- You understand that Pioneer Prize Mentors are not teachers and are there solely to provide support and guidance.
- You understand that choosing Mentors and taking advantage of their help is your responsibility, not theirs. Typically you should meet regularly every 2-4 weeks.
- You understand that Mentors may be asked to support the judging process by providing written feedback on you and your project.
- You will not meet face-to-face with a Mentor without the knowledge of your parent / guardian.
- Your face-to-face meetings with a Mentor will only take place in public spaces or online.
- At the conclusion of the contest, any further contact with a Mentor is beyond the scope of the Pioneer Prize and may only happen by the mutual consensus of you, the Mentor, and your parent / guardian.
- You may not compensate, nor share any winnings with, your Mentor.
- You may not use code that is not reasonably available to other Pioneer Prize entrants.
- You will retain ownership of any intellectual property that you create in your project. Pioneer Prize makes no claim on your work.
- You agree to permit the use of images from the executable manifestation for promotional purposes.
- You agree to abide by any other reasonable conditions communicated to you in the course of the contest.
- If you are a minor, your parent / guardian must also agree to these conditions.